Welcome to the Online Certificate of Confidentiality Application System
Please note: any research/study receiving NIH funding is automatically protected with a Certificate of Confidentiality. There is no need to apply for a CoC. Please contact your Program Director or Contracting Officer with any questions.
Use this system to:
- Request new Certificates of Confidentiality (CoC)
- View requests submitted through this system
To extend or amend an existing CoC
- Contact the IC Coordinator at the NIH Institute that issues your certificate
To apply, you will need:
- To login with NIH Single Sign-on; click here for more info
- Your Institution Federalwide Assurance (FWA) number from OHRP; click here for info on obtaining an FWA
- The following documents to upload:
- A copy of final IRB approval
- A copy of the IRB approved consent form with appropriate language about the CoC. Click here for sample consent language.
- A copy of the DEA certificate/registration for studies in which a controlled drug will be administered.
- A signed assurance document. Click here for the assurance template.
- At NIH, CoCs are issued by the individual NIH Institutes/Centers (ICs) and you will need to know which NIH IC you are applying to. Click here for help in determining the appropriate NIH IC. Additionally, you can use the NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tool (RePORT) to identify which IC funds similar research.
If you get an error message when attempting to log into the NIH CoC system or have any other technical difficulties with the application system, please send an email to NIH-COCfirstname.lastname@example.org