Skip Navigation Links

Certificates of Confidentiality for Non-Federally Funded Research

Health-related research that is not federally funded in which identifiable, sensitive information is collected or used, may request a Certificate of Confidentiality (CoC) for specific projects using the online application system. Learn more about CoCs for non- Federally funded research.

CoC requests must be submitted through the online application system. Please be aware that Issuance of a CoC for non-federally-funded research continues to be at the discretion of NIH.

Is my research study eligible for a CoC from NIH?                                                                                                                                              
Certificates of confidentiality are only issued for research projects that are:

  • Collecting or using identifiable, sensitive information (see below for more detail)
  • On a topic that is within the HHS health related research mission
  • Storing the research information collected or used in the US

   Research in which identifiable, sensitive information is collected or used, including research that                                                               

  • Meets the definition of human subjects research, including exempt research in which subjects can be identified
  • Is collecting or using human biospecimens that are identifiable or that have a risk of being identifiable
  • Involves the generation of individual level human genomic data
  • Involves any other information that might identify a person

CoC Resources for Non-federally Funded Research

Have a CoC Question?
Please direct additional questions to: NIH Office of Extramural Research:

Back to Top